Sunday, November 13, 2011

Homemade Laundry Soap





Today I'm going to walk you through my process of making my own laundry soap. This is a recipe I found online a while back and absolutely love.
You will need Fels Naptha bar soap found in the laundry section of any grocery store, a box of Arm and Hammer washing powder, a box of Borax, a cheese grater, an old pot, measuring cup, long wooden spoon, and a five gallon bucket.
1. Grate the Fels Naptha with a cheese grater so it will melt completely.
2. Put the grated soap and two cups of water in a pot and heat until all of the soap is melted. Stir often so there are no clumps.
3. Once the soap is melted, turn off the heat and add one cup of Arm and Hammer washing powder and one cup of Borax. Stir until all is melted.
4. Pour the melted soap mixture into a five gallon bucket and fill to the top with hot water.
5. Let this mixture sit overnight.
6. The next day, stir the mixture to get out any clumps and then it's ready to use.
I use one cup of soap for each load of wash. It works wonderfully. I have spent about $15.00 on supplies which has yielded 35 gallons of washing soap.

No comments:

Post a Comment